Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Love and Light at Loving More Annual Retreat

Once again we had a delightful weekend celebrating and learning and loving at the Loving More National Conference Retreat at Easton Mountain Resort in Greenwich, NY.  It was wonderful to spend time with old friends and meet many new ones, including many people from countries outside the US.  This was our fourth year at this beautiful location, and it now feels like a home away from home.  As always, the food was healthy and delicious and the freshest of fresh, since much of the produce is grown in the garden out back. 

I especially enjoyed meeting the beautiful Leonie Linssen, a poly educator and community organizer from Holland, who attended her first polyamory conference there.  It is delightful to know that interest in polyamory isn't only growing in the US but also in many countries around the world.  Leonie and I have much in common, and I look forward to continuing the friendship we established at the conference.

The programming was terrific and covered many common subjects important to happy and healthy polyamorous relationships.  I had the pleasure of presenting a program called Polyamory in Media's Spotlight with Alan M of the Polyamory-in-the-News blog.  Alan backed me up with additional commentary and many live displays of internet pages featuring articles and videos under discussion.

As always, Robyn Trask and Jesus Garcia, along with the excellent assistance of Robyn's sister, Ginni Trask, and Robyn's son, David, did a fabulous job.  It was a well-run event.  These folks put their hearts and souls into their conferences, and the participants are the lucky beneficiaries of the professionalism that keeps Loving More conferences running smoothly.  If you'd like to see Robyn's own comments as well as a picture of some of the attendees, check out her latest Loving More blog entry.  (That's me in the picture wearing a black t-shirt and a big smile just a bit right of center.) 

The next Loving More polyamory conference is Poly Living February 19-21, 2010 in Philadelphia.  Plan now to join us and help me celebrate my birthday.  It's rumoured there may be chances to administer a good birthday spanking in exchange for a modest donation to Loving More.  Wow, is there anything I won't do for my cause!?!?

1 comment:

Leonie Linssen said...

For many years I have been thinking of going to the Loving More Conference, and I am so glad that this year I finally did it! Being polyamoreus and bisexual and being a relationship coach helping lots of clients with their challenges regarding polyamory and relationship issues, I was more than curious what you had to offer. And it was a lot!

It was such a wonderful experience, meeting so many people that are successfully living a polyamoreus life style. I learned a lot at your conference, especially all about boundary settings and the importance of a safe and loving place to practice this. It brought me a lot of inner freedom, as I do feel it is so different being in an environment where polyamory is totally accepted by everybody, and where people are open to explore their feelings and express them with respect for each other and for who they are.

I am very grateful to have met you Anita, and experiencing that at the other side of the ocean there are more people who passionately follow their heart and encourage people to live their lives as they feel it in their heart, with authenticity.

I think you all did a great job with this conference, the food was delicious and I will spread the word about the conference here in The Netherlands and in Europe. I hope next time you will have more people coming from outside the USA. Love has no boundaries, and feelings of love are international and unlimited.

I am looking forward to integrate my experiences in the book I am currently writing together with my co-writer Stephan Wik: Love Unlimited – The Joys and Challenges of Open Relationships. In the book we follow 12 couples and individuals who are grappling with the complexities and challenges ‘responsible non-monogamy’ and who are trying to find practical and down-to-earth solutions to their life situations. My experiences at the Loving More Conference will definitely be from added value when writing my last chapter soon.

I am looking forward to meeting you all again in the future!
Leonie Linssen, www.veranderjewereld.nl